The introduction to wheel throwing and slip decoration workshop is ideal for your first contact with the potter’s wheel. After the class, you will be able to use these techniques independently and continue moving towards more complex forms in our wheel throwing professionalization course.
We are very proud of our students creations. Visit our Instagram and Facebook pages to see what they’re up to!
How are we going to work:
You will work with an electric wheel
Introduction to the potter’s wheel:
– Learning to knead clay;
– Demonstration and practice of how to center the clay on the wheel;
– Practice throwing basic forms, such as cylinders
– Practice throwing basic forms, such as bowls;
– Review and practice common techniques for shaping and trimming clay forms
– Troubleshoot common issues that may arise while throwing
– Practice throwing basic forms, such as plates;
– Review and practice of trimming and finishing techniques;
– Making and adding handles and feet.
– Introduction to engobes decoration and ways of applying them: slip trailing, marbling, sgraffito, mishima, stencils, brush, sponge;
Presentation of all the finished work, analysis and conclusions.