You can take both workshops together or, if you already have the possibility to create your own pieces, you can opt for the second one only.
During the first workshop we will create the pieces with handbuilding techniques or, if we have experience with throwing, we will make them on the potter’s wheel. Then we will learn how to prepare the terra sigillata and we will decorate our pieces with it. This will give them a smooth and satin surface. We will also learn how to prepare the slip for naked raku.
On the second workshop we will have our pieces already bisqued (at 950 °C). We will prepare them for the raku firing in the vicinity of the kiln, applying them specific glazes or the slip for the naked raku.
We will load the pieces in the kiln and once the temperature reaches approximately 1000 °C they are removed, in incandescent stage, with the help of tongs and immersed in sawdust where the reduction process takes place.
They are then taken to another metal container with water.
When the piece is cooler, it is taken from the water and cleaned to remove the remains of sawdust stuck to it, and to discover the metallizations and iridescence resulting from the reduction.
We are very proud of our students creations. Visit our Instagram and Facebook pages to see what they’re up to!
How are we going to work:
- For the raku workshop we will travel to a very picturesque place located 45 km from Barcelona, in the charming Baix Montseny (you can get there by train), and spend the day outdoors, experimenting with this popular firing technique;
- Wear comfortable clothing and don’t forget to pack an old shirt with long sleeves in your backpack, as well as long pants and closed shoes to protect yourself from any splashes of fire or hot water;
- Take protective goggles and mask;
- We provide you with tongs, gloves and all other necessary containers and materials;
- Bring a lunch box or a snack as it is a long day and we will take a break for lunch. Water and beverages will be provided by us.
In this link and in this other, you can see images of past workshops that we have carried out in Baix Montseny.